Banks Peninsula Rubbish and Recycling
The community collection points are either a wheelie bin, skip or a trailer.
Using the collection points
- Only for rubbish and/or recycling dropped off by a resident.
- Waste should not exceed the amount that can be placed in the kerbside wheelie bins.
- Please place recycling loose, not in bags.
- Make sure you put the right waste in the right bin – check the information about sorting your rubbish if you’re not sure.
- Take green waste, large items, large quantities and commercial waste to a transfer station for recycling or disposal.
|Description of collection point||Description of waste||Quantity that can be dropped off each fortnight|
|Trailer, yellow bin or yellow skip||Household recycling||240 litres
(3 bags per week)
|Red bin or red skip||Household rubbish||140 litres
(2 bags per week)
All locations have a recycling collection. All locations except Akaroa and Little River have a rubbish collection.
|Barry’s Bay||Onawe Flat Road|
|Cabstand||Long Bay Road|
|Le Bons Bay||Le Bons Cemetery Road|
|Little Akaloa||Little Akaloa Road|
|Little River||Barclays Road|
|Okains Bay||River Road|
|Port Levy||1679 Western Valley Road|
|Pigeon Bay||Holmes Bay Road|
|Robinsons Bay||Robinsons Bay Valley Road|
|Takamatua||Takamatua Bay Road|
Full or contaminated bins
Phone the Council if you notice:
- The skip, bin or trailer at the community collection point is too full
- Anything in the skip, bin or trailer that should not be there
- Witness illegal dumping.
For further details visit Christchurch City Council website loveyourrubbish.co.nz or call us on either 0800 800 169 or (03) 941 899.
Birdlings Flat Transfer Station – 3382 Christchurch-Akaroa Road, (turn towards the lake on the Mad Mile Straight) – no EFTPOS facility.
Barrys Bay Transfer Station – 102 Onawe Flat Road in Barrys Bay.
Metro EcoDrop – 42 Metro Place (off Dyers Road) in Bromley
Parkhouse EcoDrop – 25 Parkhouse Road (off Curletts road) in Wigram.
Styx Mill EcoDrop – 76 Styx Mill Road (off Main North Road) in Redwood.
Please contact Council for hours of operation. For locations of community collection points visit our website loveyourrubbish.co.nz
WASTE ON BANKS PENINSULA . For a comprehensive and current guide to waste on Banks Peninsula from the Akaroa Website go here
Please note the following important points:
- All items destined for the yellow bin must be clean and empty of residues with no lids
- Plastic with numbers 1, 2 and 5 ONLY can be recycled – all other plastic in the red bin along with all lids
- There is currently no soft plastic recycling
- Ashes go in the red bin
There is a Clothing Bin outside the Little River Garage on the Main Road Little River for clean tidy used clothing.
This is sold through Revival Clothing which is open on the first Tuesday of each month 10.30am to 4.30pm. Revival Clothing is at Upper Church Road, Little River.
Contact Fiona 3290 171 or email